IE Mode is a feature in Microsoft Edge that allows access to Legacy sites that only support Internet Explorer 11. In the case of ETO, this means that it can be used to access legacy features that otherwise are restricted to use with Internet Explorer. It also allows customization of Trusted Sites for users on Windows 11 operating system.
More details on the feature and its use case can be found in Microsoft's documentation site.
Note: This feature requires Windows to work and is not supported for the MacOS version of Microsoft Edge.
Setting Up Trusted Sites
1. Click the Start menu and open the Control Panel. This can be done by typing control with the Start menu open, and selecting Control Panel when it appears as a search result.
2. Click Network and Internet. If your Control Panel does not look like the below, search Internet Options in the search bar and skip to Step 3.
3. Select Internet Options.
4. Navigate to the second tab, "Security." Here you will click "Trusted Sites" then "Sites." If you are unable to click on "Sites," you may need to contact your IT administrator to allow access.
5. Add the trusted site below. Note: Canadian, Australian, and Public sector have slightly different sites.
Setting up Edge in IE Mode
1. Open Microsoft Edge.
2. Open the settings by clicking the ellipses icon in the top right, followed by clicking the settings selection.
3. Click on the Default Browser section the Settings sidebar.
4. Under the "Internet Explorer Compatibility" section, turn on the "Allow sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer mode” toggle switch.
5. Click the Restart button.
Using Edge in IE Mode
Once these steps have been completed, you will want to login to ETO in IE mode.
1. Navigate to ETO, but do not log in.
2. Toggle IE mode ON.
3. Successful IE Mode will show the blue e with a golden ring in the address bar.
4. If this Pop-Up appears, toggle ON "Open this page in IE mode next time and click" the Done button.
5. If this pop-up appears, "You're in Internet Explorer Mode", do NOT click leave.
6. Instead, click the "X" in the right hand corner.
8. You and your users should remain in IE mode for the length of your login. You should always see the blue e with the golden ring at the top of your page. Leaving IE mode in the middle of a session will cause ETO to reload, and you may be logged out.
Note: If you do not see the IE Mode Icon at the top of Edge, you should find it in the menu under the ... icon as seen below.